We are thrilled to announce that ICAAD was recently granted special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). This coveted status will allow ICAAD to greatly advance our mission, including efforts to show the relationship between human rights advancement and sustainable development goals.
NGOs with this status are granted access to the United Nations premises in New York and Geneva, and can:
- Provide expert analysis on issues from its experience in the field;
- Serve as an early warning agent;
- Help monitor and implement international agreements;
- Help raise public awareness of relevant issues;
- Play a major role in advancing United Nations goals; and
- Contribute with essential information at organization events.
Conversely, ECOSOC status can provide NGOs with opportunities to:
- Attend international conferences and events;
- Make written and oral statements at these events;
- Organize side events at important conferences/ meetings;
- Attend human rights review sessions of countries of interest; and
- Have opportunities to network and lobby.
In the past four years, we have filed human rights reports in 14 countries through the Universal Periodic Review (UPR), and worked on cutting edge analysis of sustainable development research. We are excited to continue to advance human rights through this important global forum.